These cute little rice pop chicks make great chocolate nest alternatives and have been a hit in our house! Just a few ingredients needed, and no baking required, making these a fun activity for your little ones to get involved with too. A new Easter tradition for us!
- 150g marshmallows
- 250g white chocolate, chopped
- 75g rice pops cereal
- 20g desiccated coconut (plus extra for decorating)
- yellow food colouring
- mini smarties, stars and sprinkles for decorating.
Makes 12 crispy chicks
- Line a baking tray or chopping board with grease proof paper.
- Combine the marshmallows, 50g of the white chocolate, and a little yellow food colouring in a microwaveable bowl. Gently melt the mixture in a microwave by heating it in short blasts and stirring between each blast. We used the defrost setting on our microwave and this worked a treat.
- Remove the mixture from the microwave and stir in the rice pops, making sure they are all covered. If the mixture is too sticky for a spoon then get stuck in and use your hands! (Just be sure to check that the mixture has cooled before handling).
- Using slightly damp hands, take small amounts of the mixture and roll into balls approximately golf ball size. Leave to set.
- Once set, gently melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave, again using short blasts. Remove from the microwave, and stir in the coconut. Coat each ball in the white chocolate mixture using a fork to drain off any excess. Place each ball on the lined baking tray.
- Before the chocolate has set, dust the balls with coconut, add sprinkles for eyes, a mini smartie for a beak, and stars for feet.
Enjoy with a cuppa, or as part of a spring picnic!